"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Friday, September 07, 2007

How can the same thing make me happy and make me want to cry?

I think Gabe has nursed for the last time. Lately, when he would nurse before bedtime, he would finish and then snuggle in with me until he fell asleep. Last night, as he was nursing, I was talking to him and said, "You know, you are getting to be a bigger boy and big boys don't need to nurse. You can nurse if you want but, if you don't want to nurse, mommy will hold you and snuggle you until you go to sleep." I really didn't expect anything to come of it but, a few minutes later, he decided to be done. He snuggled in and went to sleep. The one time he woke up last night, he didn't nurse. He didn't want to nurse this morning and he didn't want to nurse before nap time either.

Yeah, I know he is 21 months old...but he is still my baby. And, my baby isn't nursing anymore. The freedom of that makes me soooo happy but I'm going to miss him doing that.

My little boy is growing up.

5 comments:

Margaret said...

Great big HUGS.

Anonymous said...

awww! They grow up so fast. (((HUGS)))

Velda said...

((Hugs))

Emma said...

How sad for you, it's not a nice thought that it's all over is it.

Thomas decided to wean himself at 11 months which totally broke my heart.

Anonymous said...

Hey you've done really well for doing it for so long! Kudos to you!!!